Using Etcher tool to flash emonSD image to SD card

The recent issue of MagPi (Issue 50 October 2016) includes an article about Etcher. Etcher is a free app for burning an image to a SD Card. Downloads are available for Mac, Linux and Windows. I don’t know much about the company but the Etcher app seems to work very well (and fast) on a Mac.

If you wish to look thru the source code before running Etcher, the code is available at:

1 Like

Looks nice, have you tested?

I’ll add a link to the emonPi emonSD wiki. :thumbsup:

I created an emonSD image earlier today and will give it a test tomorrow.

1 Like

All seems to be woking very well!
I downloaded and burned the emonSD-03May16 image using Etcher. All looks a-OK. I plugged the freshly baked SD card into a spare RasPi (no emonPi board) and all booted as expected. I tried to Import my backup data but ran out of /data space. I ran the emonSDexpand and expanded /data to fill the new 8GB SD. Did another Import and all of my Inputs and Feeds seemed to be A-OK.

FYIs about Etcher:

This is a beta and there are changes that happen every few weeks.

Nice feature: Includes a progress bar

AND does a validation at the end of the burn. (no image - sorry)

Look for this screen when complete:

1 Like

I already have an image on the SD card. Do I need to format in fat32 or does etcher already do this?

Etcher will overwrite whatever you have on your SD card.

A propos, I used to have a problem with Etcher. I opened a bug on Github. They fixed it and sent me an extra build to test. Nice guys!

Walter

1 Like

Etcher is real - no longer beta.

1 Like

I’ve just tested, works really great on Linux. I reckon we should recommend it as the preferred tool to flash sd card images. Can someone confirm similar success on Windows and mac?

I can confirm for the Mac. I’ve used etcher many times this year.

1 Like

It is worth noting that Etcher can use the downloaded zip file directly. It is not necessary to extract the image first.

1 Like

I’ve used it many times in Windows, and has worked perfectly for me, and that includes quite a few emoncms image files.

Paul

1 Like

That’s very cool.

Thanks for the feedback guys have added a note to the download page to make etcher the recommended method

1 Like