UK Energy Pricing

Not really sustainable energy but best category I could find :smile:

Does anyone know of a website that simply lists the current tariffs available rather than going through the whole “how much do you use” rigmarole?

Just doing a check and was intrigued to notice that E.oN have some tariffs with very low standing charges - what I’m looking for as the property is currently empty so use is really low.

Look for green tarrifs as they often cost slightly more per unit but have zero standing charge. I can’t find any website that gives you a list of tariffs and most comparison sites are saying it’s a bad time to switch so they don’t list any! You should speak to your current supplier.

This is a 2 year old thread @kelper.

If you find one, let me know (I don’t think they exist because of how the price cap works).

Did you find a suitable tariff?

No I didn’t.

The whole “how much do you use?” “what is your house number and postcode?” rigmarole was a means of getting user lists on popular-switch websites to sell to energy companies and pay for the price comparison websites in the era of descending wholesale prices, when any noddy could sell electricity retail and buy wholesale later at a lower price. In an epoch of electricity price rises, less companies want to sell retail to buy at next years’ unknown wholesale price, so there is only one price in your region in January 2023, which is the “energy price guarantee” decided by treasury, who pay as much again in subsidy. For example in Southern England that is now well over 34p/kWh, with the exact tariff printed on your bills and your supplier tariff information page. Once you’ve found that out, you might find something even worse but won’t find cheaper any-time-of-day p/kWh. Where you might find different are from time-of-use tariffs which make use of your SMETS2 “smart” meter, so try looking up that and decide whether you use electricity at the marginally cheaper times or at the massively more expensive times.

Hi, Welcome.

Yes exactly. Interestingly, I have been reviewing the ‘Agile’ App data in Emoncms and my cost if I had been on that tariff over the last 6 months would have been 30p/kWh, below the price cap.

I’m still on a very good fixed rate, but at the end of that, I suspect I will move to Agile (I’m already with Octopus).