Ubuntu Emoncms upgrade process

I have an existing Ubuntu install of version 9.8.7 and would like to update the the latest on Github. Following the process at emoncms/Upgrading.md at master · emoncms/emoncms · GitHub doesn’t seem to have the details I’m looking for. I guess it is linked to Emonpi or something.

I’ve created the emoncms_new directory, but how do I enable it to test it with Apache?

Thanks!

That guide is quite old and was aimed specifically at making the jump from versions <v8 to v8 as it was quite a change.

Since you are already on 9.8.7 it “should” be a simple case of pulling in the changes from GitHub (assuming you installed by cloning the github repo) via git “pull”.

It is always wise to do a backup in case upgrading doesn’t go to plan and in addition to that I would recommend duplicating your emoncms folder (eg to emoncms_old) and then from the original emoncms directory run git pull and also from each additional module folder (eg emoncms/Modules/app etc).

I did write a small utility that can be found in the usefulscripts repo (GitHub - emoncms/usefulscripts: Some useful scripts for administering Emoncms accounts) that should help you with this.

You may need to renew your settings.php and /or run the database check&update from the admin page in emoncms once you have pulled in the changes.