Substation Monitoring

Hi
Is anybody monitoring an outgoing way of a substation?
I have a 315a circuit that I want to monitor with 300mm2 XLPE
What I’m really after is what CTs people are using to fit around a cable of that size, also Id be looking at split core to avoid disconnecting the conductors.

Regards
Dave

Look at the “Use in N.America” page. There are many large c.t’s (mostly split-core) listed there.
(You’re allowed to look even though you’re from E. Anglia :grin: )

You’re likely to need to change the burden and the calibration, otherwise it should all work.
The bad news is, you’ll probably have to import the c.t’s. I don’t know of a UK manufacturer of split-core with a 50 mA or so secondary.

AFAIK, Howard Butler only do 5 A secondaries. You could do that, with the burden mounted external to the emonTx/emonPi.

If you’re looking for large split-core CTs, try Andy at Sibert UK (https://www.sibert.co.uk/ ) he’s a guru when it comes to things like that, if it;s available he can source it. - He’s used to dealing with all sorts of cable sizes.
Rgds Gordon

TBH I have been struggling to find large enough CTs at the right price.
@Robert.Wall Can you confirm that the CTs need to be 1v? or can you use modern 0.33v CTs?

Regards
Dave

How about a Magnelab SCT-1250 or SCT-2000 with a 1 Volt output?

Manutech is Magnelab’s European distributor.

You can use a 0.333 V c.t, but then you’re using less than ⅓ of the available range of the ADC, so resolution - in form of performance at low currents, will suffer correspondingly. Effectively, you push the minimum current you can measure with any given accuracy up by a factor of 3.3. So best avoided if at all possible. (Unless of course this is not a concern. To most, it is.)