Software license

Hello everyone,
I am working on the emonhub software on github, I am wondering what is the chosen licensing model for the software.
I’ve seen GNU Affero GPL cited in the some source files, is this valid for the whole package?
Thanks a lot in advance

https://github.com/emoncms/emoncms states in emoncms/COPYRIGHT.txt at master · emoncms/emoncms · GitHub

This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License as
published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the
License, or any later version.

The repo has emoncms/LICENSE.txt at master · emoncms/emoncms · GitHub too

So it’s AGPL-3.0-or-later

I have also noticed on various other repos under the Emoncms · GitHub org do not have LICENSE/COPYRIGHT files, and for those PHP repos I have filed tasks asking for clarification (and hinting they should be adding the relevant files to the repos). It would seem that they are also AGPL-3.0-or-later, but it should be explicitly defined in each repo accordingly

1 Like

Thanks, I totally agree.
The emohub could be used independently from emoncms, a separate license/copyright file explicitly defining the terms would be necessary IMHO

I would suggest every repo should have it’s own license/copyright file. Nothing should be implicit like this

@TrystanLea Do you mind if I just alter composer.json and add a LICENSE file to all the repos that don’t have one? Using AGPL-3.0-or-later as on other repos?

1 Like

yes that would be fine and most appreciated, thanks @reedy

For reference, this is done for all the repos active in the last few years!

1 Like