Restoring to new emonSD installation (RPi1): inputs not updating

Hello,

I’ve had emoncms running on my RPi1B (with RFM12Pi v2 installed on latest Raspberry Pi OS/Raspbian) successfully for the last few years and I wanted to use a fresh emonSD and restore the original data from an archive made on the old setup.

When I boot the fresh emonSD, it seems to pick up the inputs from my emonTx and other sensors and after I restore the archive all of the feeds are there, but the inputs are no longer updating. I’m guessing it’s probably to do with the way it was installed on the old Raspbian setup.

Is there any documentation on how to do this? If not, does anyone have any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

Many thanks,

Hugo

My guess is the emonhub configuration.

If it works before you restore the backup, i.e. is running the default emonhub configuration, go back to the default file.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, @borpin.

It was working before I restored the backup, so went back to the default emonhub.conf and after a bit of tinkering I worked out that the node settings for Node 10 (emontx1) meant emonhub was expecting 12 values from my emonTx module (4x power, 1x voltage, 6x temp, 1x pulse), but was only getting 4 (3x power, 1x voltage). So I changed the line and it now works very well indeed:

Click here for settings (in case it's useful to anyone in the future)
[[10]]
    nodename = emontx1
    [[[rx]]]
       names = power1, power2, power3, vrms
       datacodes = h,h,h,h
       scales = 1,1,1,0.01
       units = W,W,W,V

I also had to uncomment the interval = 300 line to get my emonGLCD to update it’s time again. Very happy :slight_smile:.

1 Like

The amount of data sent has steadily expanded over the years - clearly, your emonTx1 is running a very old sketch - would it be an emonTx V2, by any chance?

1 Like

I am indeed using an emonTx v2. Is it worth upgrading to a newer sketch?

If your emonTx V2 is doing what you want - then no. But if you want more, then it’s not that hard to back-port the newer sketches to the V2.

Really, I was just adding the note to explain why you had a problem with emonHub, which doesn’t expect to see a V2 sketch. And there don’t seem to be that many emonGLCDs around now either.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, I’ve had the kit since 2013 and things have moved on a bit. I still really like the emonGLCD because of its tinkerability. I’ve customised it to count import and export kWh and show the data from the emonTH.

2 Likes