Purchasing correct equipment

Given that it sounds a deal of trouble to run the cable, I’d wonder hard why I need the pulse sensor. The emonPi should be accurate to within a few percent – from memory you have about an even chance that it’s within ½% and about 80% chance that it’s within 1%, even though the worst case error is appallingly huge.

I’ve never tested that sensor with an extension, but I don’t see why not, if it’s only 5 m or so.
But I’d keep it away from the main cables if that’s possible. We don’t know what’s inside the sensor so we don’t know how sensitive it might be to interference if you run the cable all the way right next to the main tails from the meter.

I wouldn’t bother with the pulse sensor. If you want to be able to measure the overall use and a circuit at the same time, the emonPi has 2 CT inputs so you can just use a second CT.

Neither would I - except to calibrate against. And from what Ian wrote initially, what he’s looking for is large relative use or sustained use that he can’t identify. And I think being one or two percent out won’t have a material effect on that.

1 Like

Hi,

I have an EmonPi with two CT as I have Solar, you can set the apps up to give any currency setup you want as the devisor will be the amount you pay for each Kwh. You can also set up an account on Emoncms.org as when you buy your EmonPi you will get enough “credits” for quite a few years usage and all your data is then up in the cloud (as well as on your own EmonPi This also means you can put the app on a smartphone and see the data from anywhere not just home. To get the ethernet connection to the distribution board I use a set of powerline adapters. As for adding a socket if you get on with USB charge ports on it this saves one socket :slight_smile:

John

Hi John,

Well that’s really interesting, what price are you looking for?
Could you explain the “credits” please

Ian

Hi,

That is just my setup, I am not selling anything :slight_smile:
if you go to https://shop.openenergymonitor.com you can get all the parts, then when you set up an account on emoncms.org then you can link the two accounts and you get posting credits up to a percentage of your spend (this will last a long time)

John

Hi John

Apologies I misunderstood, I will purchase the items from the shop.

Many Thanks for the information.

Ian

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for info as you say might be difficult to route away from mains.

Cheers

Yes, any currency can be selected in Emoncms

Glyn Many Thanks for that info, pretty sure I have now have the confidence to purchase the correct equipment

Cheers

Ian

1 Like