Problems with the web interface

Hi
I’ve been using EMONCMS for years - great product - you guys are doing an excellent job!
I’ve recently upgraded to “low write 10.2.3” (according to the footer on the web interface page). Some great changes to the web interface, however the upgrade leaves me with some serious problems.

EMONCMS web pages:
Inputs list:

• Row display goes wrong if window width shrunk (row height goes large and and columns e.g. process list disappear).
  • Looks like default sort is “Node | id” with no option to change. Would be good if “sort by column” option could be re-instated!

Feeds list:

• On the Feeds display page, the default name for nodes seems to have changed from “Node x” to “x”. There seems to be no way to change the node id so I now have a mixture of “Node x” and “x” - even for the same x (can’t add a new feed to e.g. Node 3 - it goes into 3). Same problem visible in Graphs sidebar. Oddly though Input list has dropped the word “Node” completely.
  • Looks like default sort is “Node | id” with no option to change. Would be good if “sort by column” option could be re-instated!

EMONCMS web page - specific to Mobile device:
Inputs list:

• In portrait mode, can only see sensor id column. Landscape restores updated time count and current value but no process list. Cannot scroll sideways. Row heights (variously) far too tall - lots of blank space.
  • Dashboard dimensions have changed. All need to be redrawn to fit again! Responsive would be great - but I guess, from forum postings, that’s not going to happen.

I appreciate that a lot of work went into this latest change and the result is good. I only use EMONCMS, I have no need for EMONHUB, the mobile app or the Devices module (all a bit too specific for me). Don’t know if the issues I raise affect other users however it would be so good if at least some of these could be fixed.

EMONCMS Version: low write 10.2.3; git status" says “On branch stable, Your branch is up-to-date with ‘origin/stable’.”
PC Browsers: Chrome Version 84.0.4147.89; MS Edge Version 84.0.522.44
Android Browser: Chrome Version 84.0.4147.89

Thanks for the feedback @Dunum, we’re currently focusing development work on other parts of the system but I will make a note of your post for when we next work on this side of things. I’ve created an issue on emoncms repository linking to your post Emoncms 10 user interface issues · Issue #1619 · emoncms/emoncms · GitHub

Thank you.

Have been using EmonCMS v9 for the last 4 years (stable and bugfree!) and decided to migrate now to the new UI.
Much of this bugs are now fixed on 10.3 here: Bugfixing 10.3 by chaveiro · Pull Request #1659 · emoncms/emoncms · GitHub

Sorry to post to an old thread, but I’ve just noticed that I don’t see the input processes displayed on the inputs page as I should.

I found this thread which I think says something similar and I see two associated bugs but they are both still open, and I still have the problem today! :frowning:

To be specific, this is what my Inputs page looks like:

There should be little blue boxes on most of those lines indicating that there’s processing done on those inputs. I can only make them appear if I maximise the window display, which is obviously not something I want to have to do, and given the amount of blank space is clearly not necessary.

Is there any chance of a fix, or better yet, any way I can fix this myself? (i.e. a diff on the code)

I got this when I integrated a field with a very long name from Home Assistant.

Changed the name in HA and everything came back…

The column showing process steps will only appear if there is enough space. The columns for node name and description in your screenshot are taking up too much of the available space, so the steps are not shown.

One workaround is to zoom out with Ctrl+minus. Another is to shorten the descriptions.

Even more interesting (or scary), on reducing the window width, I (twice) made it say “No inputs created” - yet they reappeared when I widened the window to near full screen width.
For me, the process detail disappears at round 850 px window width.

I hadn’t seen that but I’ve just now reproduced it a few times by alternately widening and narrowing the window width. Weird! It seems to go away by itself after a few seconds?

That’s nonsense. This used to work properly! There’s clearly loads of space on every line in my picture. What it seems to be doing is reserving lots of space for something that never happens.

IMHO the decision on whether to show the processes should be taken for each input individually. It appears to be making some kind of global decision based on the worst cases for everything. It even removes the time since last update and displays blank space in preference if you make the window narrower!

It would be better to truncate names or descriptions if necessary to show the processes. They can always be displayed as tooltips if necessary.

I think it’s when it rewrites the page. It’s certainly not right to be putting a heart-stopping ‘All is lost’ message up though.

It’s not the best use of CSS that I’ve seen. Maybe we recommend whoever decided on the page layout should study CSS Flexbox A Complete Guide to Flexbox | CSS-Tricks - CSS-Tricks, or maybe CSS Grid A Complete Guide to CSS Grid | CSS-Tricks - CSS-Tricks might be more appropriate. Robin’s old Mk2PVRouter.co.uk site uses CSS Grid – watch how the ‘Downloads’ page behaves as the screen is narrowed.