IoTaWatt lights show red - red - red

My new IoTaWatt was a bit troublesome getting it is work on my wifi network, but after trying a few times and walking away leaving it on i was able to talk to it and go into the settings and setup my CTs for each channels, and play around with setting and calculations, after changing to a different power point with 5v usb and the 9vac power plugs, device has gone into a 3 led light warning with a RED - RED - RED.
i have now unable to log in to the device but i can ping it and i now have 3 flashing lights red - red - red. when i power cycle the device goes offline while watching the pinging and after power cycle startup quickly re pings through command prompt -t. The connection through chrome now refused to connect, even though i can ping it.
I dont know if i have crashed it with playing with setting or what?.

Connection Refused

https://community.openenergymonitor.org/uploads/default/original/2X/2/21432f1dccb1c8f35ceb881cfa7f166f8ffb03da.mp4

1 Like

The ping happens at a lower level than the IotaWatt firmware. It is handled by the WiFi stack running under the ESP8266/arduino core. So it will continue to maintain a connection and respond to pings regardless of the state of the IotaWatt firmware.

The red-red-red led sequence means the device encountered a fatal error, usually in startup. The most probable cause is that the config.txt file is damaged. I do what I can to insure the integrity of the card, but at the end of the day, there can be circumstances beyond my control.

In the issues posted a couple of days ago, you describe opening the box up and looking at the SD card on a PC. That’s fine, but understand that it’s easy to corrupt the SD file system if a strict protocol isn’t adhered to when removing and reinserting

For example the IotaWatt doesn’t know if the card is removed. If any changes to the file system are made while it is out, it may use blocks that are no longer free after reinsertion. I have seen this several times in my development haste.

The card is not meant to be removed. If it is, the device must be powered down for the duration of the removal and restarted after replacement.

The first place to look for the problem would be in the message log, which you cannot access, so you will have to power down the IoTaWatt, remove the SD card, and use that PC to look at the file /iotawatt/iotamsgs.txt. Post a zip of the file and I’ll take a look at it.

While you are there, look at the config.txt file and cut and paste the complete contents into a JSON checker like Json LINT. Click Validate Json and see if that’s OK. Post the config.

I’ll look at that stuff and get back to you.

If you are in a hurry, you could try loading a clean new SDcard with the contents of the SD directory on GitHub. You will lose your configuration, but that’s easily rebuilt.

Edit: looking at your posted shots, I had a few questions.

I see that you are using generic CT specifications. It looks like you have voltage type CTs. If so, have you removed the burden resistors in the IoTaWatt and have you respecified them as zero in the device manu?

Why do you have outputs defined as multiplied by voltage?

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, I have checked the config file and it was blank with no config setting.
I have since had a new spare SD card for another purpose and with notepad up loaded each file from you SD folder and redone a new card and have reinatalled the card and is now working (even on my orginal 192.168.1.61).
I have used CTs with the burden resistors set to zero.
I have multipled the current that the CT detect by the voltage to get a wattage reading.( or does this work it out automatic as Watts?).
I have noticed that my original “Tables.txt” file had my settings for my CT, could i just used this file instead of making new setting from the start for my CTs?

I’m taking that to mean you have removed the internal burden resistors in IoTaWatt.

That’s not how it works. The normal sampling of a channel does that and the result is already watts.

There are already some voltage type CT’s in the table, and they should appear in the model list for any channel with burden set to zero. If yours are not listed, you will need to specify as generic and provide the CAL and PHASE values.