Wifi Relay Esp8266 spoilt

Hi to everyone. i have a problem.
i was connected to AP-mode, then, I select my network wifi and I put my key.
now the blue LED does not flash, it is always on.
it does not connect to my wifi and it does not entry in AP-mode.
I think the module is blocked.
I pushed the button, but the LED does not flash again.
Any ideas?

Can you get it in to programming/bootloader mode? (assuming the Adafruit HUZZAH) hold down the GPIO0 button while pressing Reset. If successful the GPIO0 LED should remain on at half brightness. You should be able to then just start again by programming the device.

@jeremypoulter I think @pychu is refering to the Wifi relay since he posted in the Wifi Relay forum.

@pychu it sounds like you need to reset the unit to put it back into AP mode:

As per the user guide:

To turn the Wifi AP back on (e.g to scan and connect to a different network) press and hold the rest button for 3 seconds

When in Wifi AP mode a further 3 second press of the rest button will clear all setting and restore to default.

yes @jeremypoulter, i is refering to the Wifi relay.
I followed the instructions, but the LED does not flash again, it is always on.
when I received the relay wifi, I made a copy of memory. (For security).
i used this command.

esptool.py --port COM3 --baud 460800 read_flash 0 4194304 firm.bin

http://www.electrodragon.com/w/Category:ESP8266_Firmware_and_SDK

I can reload the firmware with this command.

esptool.py --port COM3 --baud 460800 write_flash --flash_freq 80m --flash_mode qio --flash_size 16m-c1 0 firm.bin

when I do this, the wifi relay working again, but, when I get to choose the wireless network, it is blocked again.

I have another wifi relay works well, I can use to get the fimware. but the problem persists.

i have a ESPDUINO and it does not work either

Oh dear, it sounds like there may be a problem with the 2nd wifi relay, @Martin_Harizanov should be able to help you debug further.

Can you check and see if both of your wifi relays are running the same firmware version?

Is your older wifi relay connected to the same network you are trying to connect the new unit to? Have you tried connecting to a different wifi network just to test?

Hello,
Is the LED constantly on withut any blinks?
Can you post what is available on the serial output?
And yes - pressing and holding the button for 3 seconds puts the device in AP mode.
Also - copying FW from one device to another isn’t a good idea, I suspect this is what lead to bricking yours.

Hi @Martin_Harizanov

yes, the LED is constantly on

ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,7)

load 0x40100000, len 1856, room 16
tail 0
chksum 0x63
load 0x3ffe8000, len 776, room 8
tail 0
chksum 0x02
load 0x3ffe8310, len 552, room 8
tail 0
chksum 0x79
csum 0x79

2nd boot version : 1.5
SPI Speed : 80MHz
SPI Mode : QIO
SPI Flash Size & Map: 16Mbit(512KB+512KB)
jump to run user1 @ 1000

s[14]
Running user1.bin
FW version:2314, compiled on May 24 2016 16:12:53
Reset cause: 3=soft wdt
exccause=4 epc1=0x40002ef1 epc2=0x0 epc3=0x0 excvaddr=0x0 depc=0x0

no enter in AP-mode

that is possible. but, this option does not work.

thanks for all.

OK, so it is a firmware lockout, exactly the same situation as with your first board
( WIFI Relay,Problem loading the code )

I suggest you return the board for re-flashing an please only use the recommended in the wiki method (it works).

Oops, sorry, my mistake. Sounded very similar to an issue I had on the HUZZAH I didn’t check the message properly :wink:

Hi Martin.
The board that you send me, it does not work.
Is there any option that I can recover the board?
I can upload other firmware and work well.

Can you send your files and instructions for loading?
Thanks you

I don’t get it, I personally flashed and tested that board for ~30 minutes. What do you mean by that, it stopped working after you modified the firmware, or was it dead on arrival?

The firmware won’t work if copied from one board to another, you shouldn’t do that.

The board was dead on arrival.

Copying from one board to another was a product of my desperation. :smiley:

I can´t find the problem, so please, could you send me all the files involved in order to do it by myself? And maybe a kind of tutorial?

Thank you for your time and patient, at least I´m learning things with this…

Best regards.

You cannot re-flash the board once you have damaged the flash configuration area by uploading third party firmware. The firmware has tamper detection and it kicks in. I program that area specific to each board, so it knows the firmware it runs is genuine. That’s why you cannot copy one boards firmware onto another, the firmware will know and enter safe mode.
I suggest you send back the board, I will re-configure it and ship it back.

ok, now I understand everything, I lost a lot of time with this.
I do not understand why you gave me recover files if it was not valid, I’ve lost a lot of valuable time trying to fix it.

I will send you the board for you re-configure it.

@glyn.hudson please, you have to change the method of recovery of the wifi relay. this does not work.

Can I use the alternative firmware to repair the board?

Best regards.

Thanks for helping to debug @Martin_Harizanov.

Is it best that @pychu sends the unit direct to you? Or shall I handle the return and send out a new unit?

The recovery firmware I sent was custom tailored to your board and an effort from my side to help you resolve the issue remotely. I have no idea why it didn’t work for you, but lets appreciate the hours I spent trying to help you remotely.

I think @pychu sending the relay to me directly is best option, you send a replacement, then I include the repaired board in a next batch delivery to you. How does that sound?

1 Like

Thank you for all. Please give me a address to send you the board.

Sounds good to me, I will send a repayment out on Monday. Pleae PM @pychu with your return address.

Update: I’ve sent @pychu a pm with return address

Replacement relay unit has been shipped to you today.

@pychu please confirm you have sent the relay back to @Martin_Harizanov?

Hi, i will send it the next week. This week I have a lot of work and have no time.
Thanks for all.

1 Like