EmonTx4 Documentation

I think there may be a small spelling error on this page.

Note: by default the new version of the emonBase with the RFMSPI is NOT compatible with **order** hardware e.g emonTx V3 and emonTH V2. Please contact us if you would like a version which is compatible with older hardware. 

I think that order should be older.

2 Likes

Thanks @alc_aardvark fixed!

Iā€™ve updated the documentation with some of your earlier feedback @borpin

All amended/improved.

fixed this, thanks

added a note on this, thanks.

The USB-C connector orientation images are also added in now.

Iā€™ve also modified emoncms to first fetch the available firmware list from the github repository which should after one more system update not then require further system updates just to make the latest firmware available in the firmware update list.

1 Like

@borpin not covered everything youā€™ve mentioned re emonTx3 firmware yet, but hereā€™s a start: Firmware ā€” OpenEnergyMonitor 0.0.1 documentation

Iā€™ve also copied more of the wiki page content over onto the technical page: emonTx Technical Overview ā€” OpenEnergyMonitor 0.0.1 documentation more work to do on that as well.

Great @TrystanLea. Have you found how to point the docs page back to the source file yet?

1 Like

Yes finally worked out a solution for the edit source links, so far applied this to the emonTx4 pages. Need to extend to the rest of the documentation.

Iā€™ve also moved the github repository for the documentation to: https://github.com/openenergymonitor/docs

and improved the way the separate emonTx4, emonTx3, emoncms etc repositories are linked into that to make it much easier to install and update. Im back to using git submodules but structuring the directory differently.

1 Like

But is it going to be easy for users to find what theyā€™re looking for? This is the most important part.

1 Like

This is just the structure of the back end source, not the display.

So far it looks much better, easier to search etc. Yes there could be issues, but easier to fix as the source to content part is simpler I think.

1 Like

Is the guide for extending emontx3 CTs still valid for the voltage based emontx4 CTs? If so, perhaps include a link to Learn | OpenEnergyMonitor in the emontx4 docs?

Yes, no change to front end display structure in yesterdays update.

Yes the CT extension guide is still valid. I will link that in, thanks @menocar

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Sample interval for TX4 and missing RF data

Pulse Counting

I have posted the direct to Pi config for pulse counting (again I think) ASHP compensation curve, UFH and wood burner - #11 by borpin

I have found an earlier version here :slight_smile: emonHub Interfacers ā€” OpenEnergyMonitor 0.0.1 documentation Could this be updated with this better info.

Generally, searching for ā€˜Pulse Countingā€™ in the docs shows up some anomalies in the docs (no criticism - partly due to migration).

The heading Pulse Counting appears in the results 3 times, but it is unclear the context (Emoncms, emonpi and emonTX). Not sure how this could be solved! I note some results have the page name ā†’ topic. Perhaps some of these pages actually need to be combined so the context is clearer.

Overall, I did eventually find what I was after, but it took some digging and I think this could/should be easier.

Do we need summary or aggregation pages. So a ā€˜Pulse Countingā€™ page under a sensors heading perhaps that links to - Direct serial, EmonTX3/4, EmponPi, Emoncms? MIght that help to bring subject areas together?

I was having a look on the pulse counting Docs page at
https://docs.openenergymonitor.org/electricity-monitoring/pulse-counting/introduction-to-pulse-counting.html#optical-pulse-counting-flashing-leds
and it is shorter and rather different from the original Guide page at

In particular I was looking for the 12 input pulse sensor, but these links in the original pulse counting Guide page (in the Learn section just above the appendix)

donā€™t seem to have equivalent content in the Docs pages. The links direct me to the Docs pages, but there is no relevant content in the Docs/Pulse counting sectionā€¦ Are these topics still available somewhere?

Also these two links at the bottom of the Docs page donā€™t seem to work for me

One other point - when you have finished reading something in the docs pages, how do you get back to the OEM home page, apart from editing the URL in the browser - or am I missing something?

I understand that the Docs section is a work in progress, so I apologise if Iā€™m putting the cart before the horse!

Iā€™m afraid you are. Not only is the documentation being updated, so has emonCMS in the last day or two, and donā€™t forget thereā€™s ongoing work on the emonTx V4 - not counting the normal sales activity of the shop.

Trystanā€™s been writing to me this afternoon regarding the V4 software, I donā€™t know what day it is where you are, but itā€™s still Sunday here - so heā€™s not even had the weekend off.

We donā€™t mind these things being pointed out, but you mustnā€™t expect miracles.

@Robert.Wall
Thanks for the update. I just wanted to note these things down while they were still fresh in my memory. I understand that you are all very busy at the moment - thereā€™s no urgency.

Hello @rupert

Ah, interesting, that development was a bit of a stub from way back in the first few years of this project. I thought perhaps it was time to retire it. I wonder what is best to do with that kind of thing? should these be kept in indefinitely or is it ok to remove now? or host elsewhere perhaps. One option might be to access via the internet archive, e.g: Learn | OpenEnergyMonitor

Will take a look at those broken links.

Yes there needs to be an easier option to navigate back.

1 Like

I think an archive section would be good for the docs - heavily caveated of course!

I think Iā€™ve mentioned this too, quite a few times, and going back quite a few years.

And heavily labelled - can you ā€˜rubber stampā€™ ā€œOBSOLETEā€ on an overlay so that itā€™s unmissable?

1 Like

Hello @TrystanLea

Thanks very much for the reply, as I know you are very busy at the moment and I donā€™t want to add to your workload!.

The reason I was interested in the 12 input pulse sensor was that I am looking at the various ways to monitor the optical pulses from two meters (mains and solar). This would be just as a comparison to my emonTx4 measurements, which seem on a brief check to be very close to the meters, so the emonTx4 accuracy is really good. It would also save me reading the meters and writing the numbers down! My emonTx4 can monitor one pulse source, and my emonPi can measure another, but the emonPi is in the living room measuring temperature! So I was just working out what to do.

Thanks for the link to the wayback machine (internet archive) - I hadnā€™t thought of looking there. I did find that someone had modified the design to read several SDM120 meters (S0 contact output) that he had in his meter cupboard - so the design has been used! Although it only provides power measurement, it may be useful for heat pump installations as an alternative to modbus.

I think it would be nice to archive these old designs, as they may provide inspiration for new ideas. Also they may be useful in a historical perspective to understand the development history of the products.

In consideration of the wayback machine, I donā€™t know if it archives everything, or how stable its links are. On the other hand a local archive would require some extra disk space, but would be under OEM control.

Just looking at the 12 input pulse sensor article on the wayback machine, many (all?) of the links in it have not been captured by the wayback machine. It claims the links are available on the web, but it links back to
https://learn.openenergymonitor.org/electricity-monitoring/pulse-counting/files/pulseDecoder.zip etc
which then directs you to the Docs ā€¦ which doesnā€™t have the information
And the link to Create LED pulse sensors following this ā€˜guide by AirSensorā€™ seems to lead to a clothes shop
ā€¦ so beware!

This is one reason (ā€œlink rotā€) why we strongly discourage contributors from linking to 3rd party sources for diagrams, photos, etc supporting their post, and normally insist that the material is hosted here.

2 Likes