EmonTx with higher Amperage CTs

Hello,

I was wondering what work (if any) is involved to configure the EmonTx to work with CTs greater than 100A? For example the iotawatt store sells CTs up to 800A and I’m curious if the EmonTx can be configured to work with CTs of that size?

If you search the forum, and look at the “Use in N.America” page in Learn, you’ll see a wide range of alternative c.t’s along with the details of any changes needed. They’re on the “N.America” page particularly because in the U.S, they generally have aluminium incomers that are too large for our standard c.t. It does not mean a larger c.t. can’t be used elsewhere.

If you have a question that is specifically about the operation and use of IoTaWatt, I suggest the IoTaWatt forum is a better place to ask. That is managed by Bob Lemaire, its creator, and he and the other users there are more likely to have the specific knowledge to help you. There are few here who know anything about that device.

… look at the “Use in N.America” page in Learn, you’ll see a wide range of alternative c.t’s along with the details of any changes needed.

I found the page, however I’m failing to see where I’d have to configure the EmonTx.
For example, if I connect a 400A CT to the EmonTx, I’m assuming the firmware running on the device would have to be updated before it’s able to get accurate readings from the CT?

If you have a question that is specifically about the operation and use of IoTaWatt…

Yeah I’m familiar with their forums, I only linked to their store because they sell high amperage CTs with headphone jack connections.

No, provided that you get a c.t. with a 50 mA secondary, you only need to adjust the calibration. If you choose one with a different secondary current then, depending in its rating and the maximum current you expect, you might need to change the burden resistor.

1 Like