Community
OpenEnergyMonitor

Community

emonTx v2 not passing data to nanodeRF or emonGLCD

(chris_cronin) #1

Suddenly after 7 years my data was not being posted to emocms.org.
The green LED of the emonTx flashes every 10s as is usual.
The nanodeRF (emonbase) used to show a flashing red LED when all was working but now the red LED doesn’t flash & the green LED is permanently ON indicating that the void setup() hasn’t finished.
The serial output I get is:

[webClient]
Failed to access Ethernet controller

Looking at the sketch even with the above ‘Failed to access Ethernet controller’ the setup should complete & the green LED should turn OFF (notice the comment “Nanode RF LED indictor setup - green flashing means good - red on for a long time means bad!
High means off since NanodeRF tri-state buffer inverts signal”.

I’ve changed the RFM12 on both the emonTx & the nanodeRF but problem remains

Keep it simple as I’m not a coder
Thanks

(Robert Wall) #2

You don’t mention which sketch you’re using, I’m looking at NanodeRF_multinode.ino and “Failed to access Ethernet controller” is printed when the Ethernet controller, the ENC28J60, doesn’t return the correct response - it should be the version number - to being initialised.

Assuming you’ve checked (or substituted) the power supply, and because it appears that the Atmel 328P is working, I think it means that the ENC28J60 has failed. I can’t be absolutely certain - if a DIL Atmel 328P is available, it might be worth swapping it and reloading the sketch just in case it is the processor.

(Bill Thomson) #3

Looks like there’s no shortage of 328 DIPs available. A Google search turns up quite a few sources.
e.g. SparkFun, Mouser, Digikey as well as the manufacturer themselves, Microchip.

UK sources include Farnell, RS and Hobbytronics

(chris_cronin) #4

The sketch I’m running is NanodeRF_Power_RTCrelay_GLCDtemp

Just placed an order for an ENC28J60; I’ll keep you posted on the outcome

Tried a new Atmel 328P & the problem is still there so it’s looking like the ENC28J60 is the likely culprit

(chris_cronin) #5

Another issue has arisen with my emonTx v2 regarding sketch outputs.
I lost my original sketch from 7 years ago so downloaded emonTx_CT123_Voltage & added print statments to output ct1, ct2 & Vrms. I’m running on the bench & only using ct1 which seems to give a reasonable reading measuring the power supplied to a tower PC but there’s something wrong with Vrms showing a reading of approx 27,400V! My actual AC voltage is 248V.
Suggestions please

(Paul) #6

The voltage*100 (ie centivolts) is passed due to the exclusive use of 16bit signed ints (<32768 ie 327.68V) with RFM transmissions at that time. 274 V still seems a bit high, you should check vcal and make sure your AC adapter output, input voltage divider resister values and vcal all tally, or alternatively just set vcal to existing_vcal*(actual_voltage/reported_voltage) as rough calibration.

(Robert Wall) #7

The V2 & V3 use different voltage divider ratios, so calibration coefficients for the V3 don’t apply to the V2. The starting value is on the calibration page in ‘Learn’. (Check which a.c. adapter you have.)

(chris_cronin) #8

Fitted new ENC68J60 but problem remains so ordered replacement CD74HCT125E just in case