emonSD build. Not sure how to proceed

I need some fundamental help please. I’m not sure how to add the emonSD image file to my SD card so I can load data onto emoncms. I’m using the emonSD-07Nov16.img file.
I want to log data from a emontx shield on an Arduino UNO connected via serial USB to Raspberry Pi3 model B.
I started building the SD card from scratch and got hung up on the Step 2. Root file system read-only with RW data partition (~/data)… {end of last partition did not work}
Now I want to start over again and hope to get more specific guidance.
Does the SD card need to be loaded with Raspian prior to adding the emonSD image? or is that even possible.

No. The image is the complete operating system, emonHub, emonCMS plus many of the additional services.

Were you trying to follow this: emonSD pre built SD card Download & Change Log · openenergymonitor/emonpi Wiki · GitHub ? To me, that page is a bit of a tangle as it seems to be trying to be both instructions and a change log - and it’s not clear where one ends and the other starts.

Flash your SD card according to the official Raspberry website. You already have your image, so pick up the instructions after the steps where you download an image:

I’ve never used Etcher, but I assume those instructions are accurate.

If your SD card is bigger than 4 GB, you will probably want to expand the data partition. Follow the instructions in italics about 1/3 down this page Import / Backup / Restore / Update — OpenEnergyMonitor 0.0.1 documentation just below the heading “Import / Restore”.

And you should be done. Allow the Pi plenty of time to update itself after you power up for the first time, or you may need to trigger the update manually.

1 Like

Thanks much Robert. With your input I have been able to connect to EmonCMS.

1 Like