emonSD-26Oct17

I am sorry you feel like that. We are trying to help you but you are not giving us enough information about what you are doing.

Paul @pb66 asked you if you had a screen and keyboard attached to your RPi. Do you? If you have, you did not tell us. It is important that we know these things.

If you do have a screen and keyboard, try:

User: pi
Password: raspberry

You also use those if you are using PUTTY or a similar tool to connect to the RPi.

Not if still using the older image

The password would be emonpi2016 and the numeric chars will cause a problem if using a numeric keypad as NUMLOCK is off following each restart. The generic “raspberry” password doesn’t suffer from that particular gotcha as it has no numbers, I used to get caught every time as I rarely connected a keyboard and screen, this isn’t usually an issue via ssh.

But he won’t tell us exactly what he’s doing. We are both guessing.

Also looking at the new emonscripts it looks like there is no default password, it looks like the installer asks the user to enter a password at the end of the install when running the installer. So for the pre-built image we would need to know what was answered to that question! I can’t find it specifically documented/confirmed anywhere, I could speculate that emonpi2016 was used for consistency or that it was left as raspberry for simplicity, but yes that is also just guess work. IMO it wasn’t the best idea to put a date in the password, carrying emonpi2016 over to the 2017 and 2018 revised images was questionable, now with a entirely new image perhaps a new password was used? Hopefully not dated and hopefully no numeric chars to get caught out by NUMLOCK off after a restart.

Perhaps Brian can confirm if emonpi2016 is used in the latest pre-built image?

And counter-intuitive. I seem to remember there was a discussion about whether to make the user set a password on first start, or pre-set one. The pre-set one won, I think the argument was people would forget what they had set.

In post no.2, he seems to say that is still the case.

yes it is.

The

That is correct. The assumption(!) is that the user has already logged in and fixed that sort of thing before running the scripts. The scripts also use the currently logged in user rather than pi to make it more generic.