emonSD-26Oct17 ERROR: emonSD base image old or undefined…update will not continue

Any users running emonSD-26Oct17 who updated their emonPi / emonSD / emonBase between 17th October and 21st October 2018 will see this error in the emonPi update log “ERROR: emonSD base image old or undefined…update will not continue”

This error was caused by accidentally removing update script support for the emonSD-26Oct17. This issue has now been fixed thanks to @pb66. It’s now safe to go ahead and update.

However, any users who triggered an update between 17th October and 21st October 2018 will need to execute the following steps to re-enable update support:

Connect via SSH then temporarily change the emonSD version:

sudo mv /boot/emonSD-26Oct17 /boot/emonSD-13Jun18

Then run emonPi update via the web interface, it should run successfully. The emonSd version can then be reverted to avoid future confusion:

sudo mv /boot/emonSD-13Jun18 /boot/emonSD-26Oct17

I apologise for the inconvenience.

1 Like

So I downloaded EmonSD-17Oct19 just now, flashed to SD, started EmonPi, and saw this error:
Starting update via service-runner-update.sh (v3.0) >

So do I attempt to follow the above instructions or similar? Not sure what ‘supported value’ to use?
Was lucky to even see this error in the Admin Log window.

It seems GitHub is sometimes returning an empty file - the script needs to account for that and currently doesn’t.

Run the update again and it will probably work.

Ran it a few more times, eventually it worked. Thanks for that advice.

1 Like

I’m getting this same error here.

Starting update via service-runner-update.sh (v2.0)

How solve this??

Due to issues when updating to Python 3, you can no longer update from the Oct18 image. You will need to flash the new image to an SD Card and import your data.

@TrystanLea - did you do an announcement for this?

Announcement is now up: emonSD-24Jul20 release

Needs to be pinned.

1 Like

Hi - I am seeing the same error

LAST ENTRIES ON THE LOG FILE
Starting update via service-runner-update.sh (v2.0) >
- emonSD version: emonSD-30Oct18
ERROR: emonSD base image old or undefined...update will not continue
See latest verson: https://github.com/openenergymonitor/emonpi/wiki/emonSD-pre-built-SD-card-Download-&-Change-Log
Stopping update

=========================================================

pi@emonpi:~ $ sudo mv /boot/emonSD-26Oct17 /boot/emonSD-13Jun18
mv: cannot stat ‘/boot/emonSD-26Oct17’: No such file or directory
pi@emonpi:~ $

Im a bit rubbish with CMD line stuff. Can anyone advise how I can fix this? Not sure I can go through the pain of setting this up from scratch again lol

Hello @Wratty as your image is now quite old, I would recommend doing an upgrade to a new SD card running the latest image. If you have an SD card reader you can import your existing data and configuration without requiring complete rebuild from scratch, see the ‘import using a USB SD card reader’ method here: Import / Backup - Guide | OpenEnergyMonitor