emonSD-24Jul20 release

@TrystanLea

All updated and running, found one thing though, ethernet works much better when connected to the correct port and not the temp port :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
What feedback/testing do you want?

John

1 Like

You’re not the first to discover that. Reading the labels helps. Does the temperature/pulse still work though?

@Robert.Wall

Yes fortunately all working :slight_smile:

John

Thanks @JJC great to hear! Just let us know if you notice any fundamental issues. @glyn.hudson and I are both running the image here as well, all seems to be working fine so far.

1 Like

This image does not have the comment that emonSD-17Oct19 did:

To use this image on Pi2 remove the following lines…

Can you confirm that this image does not support Raspberry Pi 2?

I am just starting out with OpenEnergyMonitor and have ordered an emonTx but hoped to convert my existing Raspberry Pi 2 into an emonBase (I also ordered the RFM69Pi to enable comms with the emonTx).

At this point it looks to me like I need to use the emonSD-17Oct19 image.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome, Michael, to the OEM forum.

It’s my understanding (see Avoiding wireless connections - EmonTX serial RPiZero solution - #31 by borpin) that the specific lines you once needed to remove have been removed, so it uses the default for the Pi model in question, and there isn’t a problem.

I’m using that image on a Pi 2B.

1 Like

The emonSD-24Jul20 will work fine on the Pi2 without any modifications.

1 Like

emonSD-24Jul20 is now the main release! New units bought from our shop are now shipping using this image. I’ve updated the first post above to reflect the release status and a note on updating and upgrading older images.

1 Like

All units shipped from Tuesday 1st September 2020 will be running the new (emonSD-24Jul20) image

1 Like

Hi

I am a beginner with the EmonPi system. But I do read a lot about SD card failures and software tweaks that are used on the Emonpi to extend to life of the cards.

Would it be possible in the future to make available a tutorial and a dedicated image if it is required for installation on a USB SSD. This will in most cases completely eliminate the card failure problem. USB adaptor leads and SSD`s are relatively cheap so I’m sure this would be a popular option. I’m looking to have a system that will reliably gather data, operate demandshaper and as far as possible be fit and forget. The SSD option will go a long way to achieving this.

Regards

Graham

While it might be useful to have that all in one place, there are many guides already available on the Internet that tell you how to boot your Raspberry Pi from a USB drive. Once you have your Pi booting from a USB drive, use the build script already available to install EmonCMS. The same script is used to build the EmonSD image. Details are in the first post above

Thanks both for your anwswers.

I know of the different guides for SSD setup that are available. I just thought there may be some other considerations with the way EconCMS does things.

I have ordered a cable and SSD. When it arrives I will give it a go.

Many Thanks

Graham

1 Like

Loaded a fresh card with the latest release - smooth install/setup and all running from a backup. Good work all. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@TrystanLea

I’ve been running the Oct 2019 image and updating it regularly. It eventually got to ver 10.2.6.

I’ve now downloaded the July 2020 image on a different SDHC and updated it (which seemed to change nothing) and it is showing the same ver 10.2.6.

I can’t reconcile this with the statement that Oct 2019 updates do not include distribution level upgrades, for the latest Raspberry Pi OS

What have I done wrong/misunderstood? Is the July 2020 image identical to the Oct 2019 image updated to today?

If that is the case, can I just stick with continuing to update the Oct 2019 image on my other running instances and avoid the export/import data hassle?

Will the Oct 2019 image continue to receive updates beyond 10.2.6?

Pls advise

You need to differentiate between the version of linux vs the version of EmonCMS. You’re looking only at the EmonCMS version.

The July 2020 image is running “debian buster”, whereas previous versions were running “debian stretch”, “debian wheezy”, or “debian jessie”, depending on how far back you go. Those are the “distribution level upgrades” being referred to.

2 Likes

@Greebo

Thx for that additional clarification.

What is important to me is the emoncms functionality (incl Python 3). If I stick with a fully updated Oct 2019 image, will that pick up the fixes and enhancements that are continuous with emoncms? Or is it now frozen at 10.2.6?

Will these future fixes & enhancements only apply to the July 2020 image? and it alone will advance beyond 10.2.6?

I guess there could come a time when a future emoncms fix/enhancement will only work on Buster and will not work on Stretch?

You should see a different entry here in the admin screen (this is 2019 image).

emoncms will continue to update, but it is always good to keep the OS as current as possible so nothing is lost by using a new image.

For now no, the 2019 image will update.

Yes hence dropping the updating of earlier images.

1 Like

Will this image automatically make full use of SD cards larger than 16 GB?

I don’t think so. You can expand the data partition easily, but increasing the size of rootfs is more difficult.

I’d suggest running the Script process yourself on larger cards.