Emon TX V3 capabilities

Is there a serial input available to connect the emonTx? Not as far as I can see.

(I’m looking specifically at the TP-Link “nano router”, not OpenWRT in general.)

I think you will find it has an USB port.

Thanks for all your comments guys. I have another question :slight_smile:

Am I right in thinking the voltages on the uart connector are out 3.3v ? I seem to remember reading that on a wiki somewhere.

In which case can I safely interface the emontx uart with a device that is based on TTL levels ?

I’m trying to create a test environment where I can connect the emontx to a windows pc and see the data flow.

https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/hacking-the-tp-link-tl-wr703n

Trust me it has a serial port, but you need to solder 3 wires to gain access to it. Very easy to do. The beauty is that you then have access to a small network connected Linux box that you can do so much with.

If you have a PC close by to your emontx then just plug the Serial Port into a USB UART and you should be able to read the serial port data directly.

That device can have OpenWRT loaded on it too. And I will bet it has a Serial port on board the PCB too, which is what the current USB is connected to.

I’m hoping to do some playing/testing with the data stream over the next few days.

Thanks to everyone who has offered me help on this so far. I now have a better understanding of what role the emontx actually plays in the open energy monitoring solution.

It has been quite a while since I did anything with this, but you may want to have a “programmer” as well - IIRC I used that to flash the EmonTX. Available from the OEM Shop for not-a-lot. Programmer - USB to serial UART - Shop | OpenEnergyMonitor

The thread that @borpin linked to above became hugely long, but in case it helps I did upload a How-To for Dummies guide here - Avoiding wireless connections - EmonTX serial RPiZero solution - #119 by haffle

Good Luck!

I second that. We always advise people to have a programmer. For the extra cost, it means that there’s a method available to diagnose faults or make adjustments.

1 Like

I just wanted to come back on and say “thanks” to everyone who responded to my question.

In the end I have gone back to basics and looked at what I was trying to achieve so I invested in an add on wifi module from the open energy shop (excellent service BTW). so I now have the emontx pumping data up to emoncms. Well, when I say data I mean readings with zeroes in because the emontx is on my desk and the clamps aren’t yet in place.

Understanding how this llot fits together is a big step forward to me so once again thank you everyone.

1 Like