DIYBMS v4

ali, search for the names i have with the picture

@CrAzYDr1veR
We don’t object to naming suppliers, provided that it is not blatant advertising on their behalf or on behalf of their agent.

not naming suppliers, just the names for the seach but yes naming the website but they may be the only place where it can be found.

I thought that this was not very helpful, given that there are different sizes available.

2.54mm spacing 2 rows of 3 pins, i got the 8 pin one in case i need more in the future.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: ESP crashing

I was wondering if the shop is going to stock the new Controller boards and if so when do you think they will get them in? @Colin_Hickey Or is anyone doing a group buy here in the uk as i desprately after one. Dont really want to pay for three boards to be populated by JLCPCB.

Cheers
Mike

I am new here with DIYBMS. there are some questions in my head, i could not find an answer yet.

1. whats the stby power consumption of the DIYBMS v4 with the smaller controller?
  2. can i use the relais outputs on the smaller controller to directly trigger the Victron Battery Protect?.
    thanks in advance

The modules themselves use tiny amounts of current (micro amps) when in use. The controller I’ve not recently measured, although the Wifi is normally the biggest consumer - could be up to 800mA when transmitting at high power.

1 Like

I’ve agreed with @glyn.hudson to stock the new boards, but as yet I don’t have an ETA on the stock arrival.

WHATS THE BEST WAY TO WIRE UP MY 4 LARGE 7S MODULES TO THE DIY BMS?

I’ve Got:
2- BMW 7s Packs (2- 4s modules & 2- 3s modules)
1- LG-CHEM 7s Pack
21- 1s40p 18650 Packs (to build a 7s120p)

Basically 4 large 7s batteries

I’ve been trying to wrap my head around the best way to connect these to the DIY BMS system. I’m leaning towards using 7 cell modules per 7’s battery pack, that way I can monitor each battery individually and provide somewhat adequate balancing to each as well…

Would it be possible to connect those 4 separate groups of 7 cell modules to one DIYBMS controller? I’m really hoping not to use for separate controllers and treating this as 4 completely separate batteries. For various reasons… **IS THAT POSSIBLE?

I would like your guys’s input on the best way of connecting these batteries to the DIYBMS system… And together… And I’d rather stay away from separating the four batteries into their own separate systems each using their own DIYBMS controller etc…

I will be using the new DIYBMS ESP32 controller.
I currently have a bunch of the esp8266 controllers but have been trying to order the new controller from JLCPLB, but been waiting on them to restock some IC’s. I have enough v4.21 cell modules to put 7 on each pack if necessary.

Thx for help on this!

On how many controllers do you need…

If you are connecting each of those batteries positive and negative terminals together to form 1 large battery then you only need 1 controller.

If not, they are effectively completely separate, independent systems, so need a controller each.

Not many people have such a mix of battery types or chemistry.

Just to add, you also need to keep seperate battery chemistry apart from each other, they have different charging cycles and voltage requirements.

I’m using relays of older controller to trigger victron aux inputs to activate charge and discharge and it works like a charme…

1 Like

With the “old controller - relays” you mean the four outputs on the controller board directly, not via the external relay board?

Exactly! I do have a dual relay board cnnected to controller board

1 Like

1 Like

@stuart

I realize I only need one controller if I parallel them all together…

Basically I’m thinking about putting a schottky diode on each of the four 7s packs in order to separate them from discharging into each other and equalizing. So I’m wondering if it’s possible to use 7cell monitors on each 7s pack monitored them all on one controller…

Also all the modules have the same charging and voltage characteristics

I would love to do this but I have a numpty question; my consumer unit is in the hall of my house and I can’t put the BMS there. I do however have a second consumer unit into the garage fed from the main one. Can I hang the BMS off the garage consumer unit?
Thanks!

The BMS should in no way be connected to a domestic consumer unit! The BMS is purely to look after the battery side of things.

Ah sorry what I really meant was can I feed battery storage to the house via the wiring to the garage? The cable between is about an inch in diameter including the shielding & insulation.