I just moved to a new place, and when attempting to install the eMonPi into my panel, I discovered that the CT doesn’t fit around the 4/0 feed lines coming in from the meter. At my previous place, it was a 150A panel. Is this just a matter of getting a different set of CT? It’s also a 150A panel, and the feed lines are aluminum (hence the 4/0 wire for such a small panel).
Alternatively, is anyone aware of a way to read the smart meter via Zigbee?
I think the long range solution will likely be to get a smart load center like the one Leviton offers, and do that as part of getting rid of alumin(i)um wires - but that’s a much more long range solution at the moment.
We’re going for ali cables here. A friend who used to live in rural Scotland woke up one morning to no electricity. In the night, metal thieves had come along and stolen the copper overhead lines to his property. The network company replaced them with ali.
Safety, mostly. It’s 45 years old. It’s only on the high current circuits for the range (I have a gas range, so it can just come out entirely) as well as the main feeder (which has decent anti corrosion on it at the moment, but I don’t know the condition of the other end that’s outside.
Can’t blame you there. Mechanical connections in aluminum wire are a well known fire hazard.
That varies considerably.
From what a friend tells me - he was the electrical superintendent for the town he lives in - ACSR
(Aluminum Core Steel Reinforced) is likely the most common material used in overhead power lines.
Copper and Aluminum i.e. not ACSR, are used too, but to a much smaller degree.
Update: Ordered a set of the 200A CTs, and, well, There’s no good way to get them on. they come apart into 2 pieces to get them around the line, but there’s no way to actually get the damn things back together. They look like they should just snap together, but that doesn’t seem to be the case (yes, I checked the alignment of the teeth - they simply don’t want to go back together). I definitely don’t want to be poking around with any kind of tools on the the hot side of a 150A main breaker.
I was finally able to get it to go, it required fiddling with the conductor gaps with a screwdriver to make them fit together again and very carefully using a large set of channel lock pliers uncomfortably close to the main lugs.