Cannot change dashboard names. Always remains "no name"

I have a local installation of emoncms running on a ubuntu 18.04.1.lte. The emoncms seems to be running fine and has all the latest updates via admin.
However I have one problem, If I change a dashboard name from “no name” to for example “test” and confirm this, it appears the name has been set. However If I go out of the dashboard menu and return back to the dashboard menu, the name has been set back to “no name”.
If I check the mysql database, dashboards, the name is “no name”. If I change it here to “test”, this is correctly reflected in emoncms. So it seems that emoncms does not update the mysql database, dashboards. What could be the cause of this. Which checks can I do?
Kind regards, Gerard.

Found in another the answer to the problem, installing mbstring:
sudo apt-get install php7.2-mbstring

Correct, thanks for reporting. I’ve added to the Dashbord mndule readme

$ sudo apt-get install php7.2-mbstring

Dear Glyn,

That was very nice of you to let me know!

I’m very much a newbie on Linux, so the learning curve is a bit steep for me.

I just saw the updated readme in the dashboard module.

I see now:

$ sudo apt-get install php7.0-mbstring

Maybe it would be better to say:

$ sudo apt-get install php7.*-mbstring // * depending on the version of php installed on your machine

Perhaps also the installation guide of emoncms needs this addition as after installation of the emoncms you will run into this issue.

https://github.com/emoncms/emoncms/blob/master/docs/LinuxInstall.md

As I struggled quite a bit to get emoncms installed, I tried to write down all the steps getting into a successful installation. Please see attached doc.

Perhaps you could add to the installation guide of emoncms if you agree it would be helpfull for newbie’s :

1.     Install Pear: sudo apt-get install php-pear

2.     Install Phize: sudo apt install php7.2-dev

3.   Install:

4.     sudo pear channel-discover pear.swiftmailer.org

5.     sudo pecl install swift/swift redis

Kind regards,

Gerard.

Emocms installation on Ubunto 18.04.odt (21.6 KB)