Best Emoncms server

Looking into using an emonBase/Pi etc and considering the best option for running emonCMS. I could use emoncms.org, or just run it locally on the emonBase, but I also have available a Mac and a Linux (Debian) server, both running 24/7. I should be able to run emonCMS on the Mac, but even if not, there is the Linux server available. So…

The question is, what is the advantage, or otherwise, or running emonCMS on the emonBase compared to an independent, full scale server? What would be the benefits of either?

Emoncms runs on the emonPi or emonBase - it is part of the system. You can also run it on almost anything that runs Linux.

Storage type. The SDcard wears out eventually.

[edit]
I run my main system on a PVE setup on a Laptop, on an Ubuntu LXC container. Minimum resources required.

Data retrieval speed is another benefit of running on a platfrom with more “raw horsepower” than
a Pi.

As @borpin has said, an older laptop machine works well because of the built-in UPS.

Moreover, it’s a self-contained system. Laptops manufactured say 5 to 10 years ago, are typically
easy to find on the used equipment market, and have plenty of “oomph” to do the job.

1 Like

Provided of course that the battery remains in a usable state.

That goes without saying.

BUT…

We know there will always be someone who makes an assumption about it whereupon
things go sideways and “disaster” ensues…

Local storage on an emonBase/Pi usually works out cheaper over the long run, especially if you have a lot of feeds and are using an emonBase/Pi anyway to forward the data to emoncms.org
Your also getting a tiny amount of ‘combined heating and computing’ rather than heating a datacenter :slight_smile: Internet bandwidth use is also less…

Disadvantages are: needing to maintain the data on the emonBase/Pi, backups, SD card restoration, slower remote access via Dataplicity than if it’s remotely hosted…

I replaced several Pis with my PVE laptop, running a number of containers and my power consumption reduced drastically.

The other key advantage of PVE is the automated snapshots for backup :slight_smile:

1 Like

What kind of lifespan can we expect from the industrial SD card supplied with the emonBase?

Do you normally get any signs of imminent failure or does it just go when your least expecting it?

Mine has been going strong for well over a year now with no issues :crossed_fingers:t3:

I am using the combined route too, with the main feeds being stored on emoncms in case anything should go wrong.

Colin

I’m thinking that the best solution will be to run emonCMS on my own server. After all, I have it available and loads of spare horsepower and effectively unlimited storage, so might as well. I just wanted to confirm there was no real disadvantage that I simply hadn’t noticed.

I’m not a lover of laptops for server use, despite their obvious advantage of built-in UPS. I’ve tried several APC UPSs to keep my server(s) running even during the (too frequent) power cuts, but they are very expensive for what they are and in the end cause more problems than they solve, so I will not use them any more.

The final solution for uninterruptible power is a proper battery storage system that can do far more than simply keep the servers running during a power cut. All working in conjunction with solar power production and of course, EVs. All of which is why I’m here. :smile:

I’m running emoncms on my own VPS in a datacentre somewhere, which I already had with spare horsepower and storage. Half the data it collects comes from other internet services anyway, with an old pi in the house uploading local data. I’ve not experienced any particular disadvantages, besides the obvious reliance on a working internet connection.

I’ll assume you are doing backups locally though in case the VPS service goes bust. There was a bit in the Telegraph about businesses losing their website when the provider just stopped - no backups locally!

Depends what you define as server - you are happy running emoncms on a Pi!

Server to me is simply a computer that does lots of different jobs at once. The Laptop with PVE does that for minimal cost (just replaced the laptop), robust setup and minimal power consumption. It can often be done by upcycling an old laptop in the house.

1 Like