Apt dist-upgrade in error - best route to happiness

While failing to think at the console of my emonCMS I have typed dist-upgrade at the terminal according to .bash_history. Some hours, and a restart later, there has been a degree of retrospective wisdom, and a lesson learnt.

I mount an NFS partition and backup to that. Yay.

I am guessing this is a likely reinstall as there is no rollback for apt as such (that I am aware of). If this is the case what is the best way to get this hunk of aluminium behaving itself again.

*FWIW errors start with

**Fatal error** : Uncaught RedisException: Connection refused in /var/www/emoncms/index.php:35 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/emoncms/index.php(35): Redis->connect('localhost', 6379) #1 {main} thrown in **/var/www/emoncms/index.php** on line **35**

at browser and probably go down a very deep rabit hole from there. Redis server is not running, and does not want to start.

Personal lessons, and routes to recovery welcome.

Welcome, Anthony, to the OEM forum.

I can’t help you, but anyone who does will need to know what version of emonCMS you had before your slip-up, and do you have old data that is valuable and you would want to keep?

If the answer to the second is no, then the advice will likely be “download a new image and write it to a new SD card”.

Robert - thank you.
The NFS share is showing:

-rw-r--r-- 1 1024 users  14M Mar 11 01:08  emoncms-backup-2020-03-11.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 1024 users  78K Mar 11 01:08  emoncms.sql

So I am guessing I am in pretty good shape.
The false hope of a snapshot filesystem, or a make-everything-okay-again.sh has got into a small boat and sailed away into the night.
I will take a screwdriver to the emonpi and find the SD card and get something to image onto it before restoring.

There are 2 parts to the REDIS setup, the server, installed by apt and the PHP extension.

What version of Raspbian are you on or tried to upgrade? I wonder if the PHP version has been updated so the extension needs to be updated.

You can fiddle if you have other things installed. If not I suggest you use the USB upgrade route to create a new image and import all your data. It will all be there.

1 Like

I have gone down the T20 bit - SD card out - re image - back together and restore from backup route.

I have resolved the issue.

It was a rather painless experience with no surprises - thank you whoever was behind that, nicely done.

1 Like