Appliance monitoring / sub-metering

Interested if anyone is working on a project for appliance level monitoring (and preferably control)? Ideally an inline solution that would go behind a socket, but if not then something like the Mi|Home Adapter Plus but at a third of the price?

Crownstone built-in, controlled by Bluetooth

1 Like

I have been looking at the Mi|Home stuff too. They are somewhat cheaper from ScrewFix but look to go out of stock a lot of the time. What is more interesting is that they use the RFM69 so I am thinking an emonPi/emonHub should be able to be used in place of the Mi|Home Gateway.

Another interesting item that is the Sonoff Pow https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-pow.html definitely more affordable than and is Wi-Fi so no need more a special Gateway.

Thanks Bart, devices look good but a bit on the expensive side for deploying at every socket.

Thank you @jeremypoulter the Sonoff Pow looks as though it might fit the bill. Small, relatively simple and at low price point. On researching I found that the stock firmware is limiting with no API, but numerous people have created custom firmware. I have ordered 2 to experiment with, intention is to use different firmware with HTTP and MQTT interfaces to link to OpenHab, as discussed here - GitHub - arendst/Sonoff-MQTT-OTA-Arduino: Provide ESP8266 based itead Sonoff with Web, MQTT and OTA firmware using Arduino IDE - Now EOL and here - ITEAD Sonoff switches and sockets - cheap ESP8266 Wifi+MQTT hardware - Tutorials & Examples - openHAB Community

Cheers

Paul

1 Like