Access emonPi via router

Yesterday I received my emonPi, which I’m going to use to monitor 2 phases.

So I connected the emonPi with an Ethernet cable with the router.
In the settings of the router I can see that the emonPI has a local address, which is: 192.168.2.22
I was able to create an account for the EmonPI, so I did and hit register. The browser then was stuck, and I got a message that my account was undefined… Now my EmonPI shows a global IP address and not any local address anymore.
So I tried to relog the website, however the local ip, which my router still shows for the emonPi is not accessible. How can i recover my emonPi to be able to log in on the emonPi, can someone help me here?

EmonPi Build:
emonSD-07nov16

Ethernet: YES

EmonPi local adress

Raspberry Pi 3 & 8gb pre-build SD card

The 169.* address is indicative that either the emonPi DHCP has failed or your router has given it an address it shouldn’t.

Using the recessed reset button I would shut down the emonPi completely and restart.

Your router may have a feature to permanently assign the same IP to the emonpi (I do this for all non-mobile devices at home) which is worth a go too.

In a manner of speaking, just the opposite, i.e. the 169 IP address assignment is intentional.

When a DHCP client can’t find a DHCP server, APIPA (Automatic Private IP Address) assigns the client a 169.x.x.x adress.

Ref: http://www.1selfcare.com/win/169ipw/

1 Like

Yes, that’s what my poor wording meant. The emonPi has failed to get a DHCP
assignment/lease.

Peter Galbavy

That’s very strange, not sure what’s going on. Creating an Emoncms account should not change the network settings. Did you try and connect via Wifi?

Can you try the emonPi on a different network? It sounds like there could be a DHCP issue with your network, the emonPi should get assigned a local IP address.

If you are having trouble with your network I’d recommend Fing (Android and IOS) fab tool for checking out what is connected IP addresses and a whole lot more.[quote=“glyn.hudson, post:5, topic:3596”]
Can you try the emonPi on a different network? It sounds like there could be a DHCP issue with your network, the emonPi should get assigned a local IP address.
[/quote]

It looked like he did get an IP address initially (as he logged in and create an account).

You could try and pull the SD card out, put it in another machine and see what the saved IP configuration is.