3-phase production and consumption

Hi there,
I’m new to this subject.
Recently i bought 3 emonTX in order to measure all 3-phase of my
2 power production (21 panels east and 27 south-west).
2 power consumption ( 1 tesla home charger and 1 heatpump (future use).
I want to measure all the 4 active components separately so i guess i need to measure 4 times 3 = 12 inputs
Each of the EmonTX has it’s own power supply on one of the different phases.
Having all of this installed, how do i continue now?

Is the above described wow ok for the software?
How do i configure the software such that i can measure the power on all 4 different components?

thanks in advance
Stef

You are going to need a c.t. on each of the feeds that you want to measure, and remember that Input 4 of the emonTx is a high sensitivity input, with a maximum current of a little over 18 A. However, you can reduce that sensitivity if necessary.

You will need to measure each quantity separately, but you can combine the numbers later whichever way you wish (nett total import/export, nett import/export per phase, total generation - those are just a few of the possible combinations).

To see the measurements, you need emonCMS. You can either use emoncms.org, or you can run emoncms (the program) on your own server. You will probably want to use a Raspberry Pi. With a radio module added to receive the data from the emonTxs, it becomes an emonBase, and it can either send the data via your router (Ethernet or Wi-fi) to emoncms.org, or it can run emoncms and store the data on the SD card, or it can do both.

Hi Robert,
Thanks for your reply.
On top of the described installation i bough a rasberry Pi installed EMONCMS on this one (built 2016).
Function properly on my home-ip-network and discovering all the remote components (3 times emontx and 1 time a external temperature measurement). Although i wonder how to force a static ip on this raspberry software.

In my browser i connect to the emoncms software running on the raspberry pi and showing the different inputs.
How to combine the inputs to feeds (specific for 3-phase) and how to add the P1-smart-meter output in there, that is still a bit fuzzy for me.

Is there a nice read for that one as well?
The things that i have read up til now is:
Using a emontx per 3-phase group.
or
Using a emontx per phase.

Right now i connected everything using the second option, i use 1 emontx per phase.
But i’m unsure if this is the best way, and also unsure how to combine the inputs into proper feeds.

I added a part of the picture of the different inputs in this post to give you an idea.

regards Stef

I think one emonTx per phase is the easiest and will give you the best accuracy (because you are measuring the voltage on each phase, not assuming that all 3 will be the same, to calculate the power on each input).
Whichever way you choose, there will be no difference after the data has arrived in emoncms. You will handle it in exactly the same way, only the names will be different.
There are instructions for configuring emoncms emonCMS: Getting started emonPi/Base — OpenEnergyMonitor 0.0.1 documentation but this does not tell you how to add the various feeds together. Look at that. The first action to set up the feed is “Choose required Input Process e.g Log to Feed”. You need to insert some more instructions to add the inputs before you do that, so choose “+ input” and then select one of the other inputs that you want to add. Carry on doing this as many times as you need, then finally “Log to feed”. It is only when you log to feed that the data is stored. You name the feed according to the function that adding the numbers together means to you.

You might find that the place to do that is in your router. It is normally the router that allocates the IP addresses.

If you’d rather not change your router settings, here’s how to assign a static IP to a Pi runing Raspbian Wheezy or Jessie.

For Raspbian Jessie, follow the link at the top of the article.